Friday, July 24, 2009

Her religion is love


It was a startling disclosure. I had been diagnosed
with NASH -- non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver,
and I was rated 50% on my new life insurance policy.
That was four years ago. Constant monitoring showed
the disease was still alive and thriving in my liver.

Then in September of 2007, I received a bit of news
that knocked me to my knees: my blood tests came
back showing I had severely compromised kidneys,
tumors on my adrenal glands, diabetes -- not just the
hypoglycemia I'd had for years -- as well as very high
cholesterol and off-the-charts LDL.

I remember coming home from the doctor that day
and lying down on the couch and whimpering. I
couldn't move. I was overwhelmed by the results of the
tests. While I have never wanted to actively prolong
my life, here I was with multiple options for death
to use to take me out.

Fast forward to June of last year. I had just met
Amma, a guru who has nothing but love in her
heart and multitudinous good deeds to back up
that love. Well, what Amma does is hug people.
So I got a hug from Amma. Another of the things
that she does is answer questions, so I got in the
question line and wrote down my question: what
does all this ill heath mean? I was disappointed
that the line closed down before I could submit
my question.

That was in June. In July, I had to see my doctor
for another round of tests. When I went back to
get the results, the doctor was nonplussed. "I don't
know how to explain this. All of your test results
are normal."

I plied her with questions. My liver? Normal. My
adrenals? No tumors. My kidneys? Nothing going
on there. No diabetes and my cholesterol and LDL
were perfect. In fact, she marveled over my cholesterol.
"It's the fluffy kind" she said, "and that wonderful!"

I was elated. I would get to remove the rating from my
life insurance. I would be able, if I do indeed have
to continue this life, to live as a healthy person.

The next day I happened to read an article about
Amma. It was written by a reporter that had no
connection to Amma, and she made this very clear
at the outset of the article. Among many points
the writer made, after interviewing many people,
was about Amma and healing. "I do not heal" said
Amma. "God heals". She said she was merely a
vehicle by which God worked. It wasn't her. It
was God.

And then I knew what had happened. I'd been
healed. By Amma, or, as she would insist, by God. 
Evidently the intent of the question I was 
holding in my heart was what Amma heard. 
I was forced to rethink some of my ideas about 
gods  and miracles and all the concomitant
stuff that goes along with something of this sort. I
experienced a deep and profound gratitude. I was
really quite overwhelmed by the fact that I was now
whole, now totally well.

The burning question that kept coming up was how
could I be so lucky to be given this grace, this healing?
Why me? I've never received an answer to that
question. At least intellectually. But in my heart, I
know that Amma's grace was on my side. I have
been healed; I have experienced something that,
in the past, I could only envy when it happened
to other people.

So, folks, Jesus ain't the only one who heals. Let's
forget about the labels and the religions and stick
with love. Amma says that her religion is love. What
more could one ask for?






No comments: